Top 10 lists will be a list of 10 movies that will be published once a week and will either have to do with a movie coming out that week or just what I want to do at the time.
This week’s top 10 list will actually be a top 5 list. I wanted to base it on Everest coming out this weekend and do survival movies. But in order to relate it as close as possible to Everest I wanted to keep it within the man vs. nature aspect of survival movies. However, there are not enough of those out there (at least that I’ve seen and are worth it) to make a solid top 10. I could have included things like post-apocalyptic survival movies or zombie survival movies but thought that would take away from this list and would be better suited for another time. So, for that reason, I decided to cut it down a bit. Anyway, let’s get to the list shall we?
5. Life of Pi
– I don’t like this movie as much as most people do because I find it a little boring. However the fantastic visuals and the fact that (even if I don’t like it) it is a good survival movie earn it a spot on this list.
4. The Way Back
– It’s not edited very well, is overly long, and has some terrible Russian accents in it but it is still worth a watch. I watched it prior to making this list based on my roommate’s recommendation. The story is incredible.
3. The Grey
– I didn’t like this movie when I saw it the first time but I’ve recently revisited it and it’s actually pretty good. Who doesn’t want to watch Liam Neeson using a very particular set of skills to take out wolves? The ending isn’t for everyone but it still very much deserves this spot on the list.
2. 127 Hours
– It’s hard to watch at times but it is a perfect (true) story of how far a man will go to survive. By far James Franco’s best movie.
1. Cast Away
– Similar to last week, I knew what my number one would be before making the list and just had to put the rest together. I love this movie. It’s long but never really feels that way. Watching Tom Hanks talk to a volleyball is way more entertaining than it probably should be.
Honorable Mention: The Perfect Storm
Movies considered before I narrowed it down to only man vs. nature: The Road, 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Rescue Dawn, Buried
What are your favorite survival movies? Let me know in the comments.
Check out last week’s top 10: Top 10 Mob Movies
Support the site: http://www.patreon.com/jmg