Top 10 lists will be a list of 10 movies that will be published once a week and will either have to do with a movie coming out that week or just what I want to do at the time.
In honor of the excellent looking Rocky spin-off, Creed, coming out this week, I’m looking at the best boxing movies. This list shows that when I do these lists, I try to keep the picks somewhere in between the best overall movies and the ones that entertain me the most. Because if I just went off my favorites, Rocky IV would be at the top. And if we are being honest, Rocky IV doesn’t belong at the top of any list. Well maybe a Top 10 most patriotic movies list. But not this one. Does it make it at all? Find out below. Let’s get to it: Ding!
10. Real Steel
– Throwing a curveball (wrong sport I know) with the first pick, I’m going with the one about boxing robots. It’s actually pretty entertaining to watch big metal robots beat each other up. If only Michael Bay could figure out how to make that work for the Transformers movies…
9. Raging Bull
– This will probably shock most people being so low, but I think it’s a little overrated. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good movie and one of De Niro’s best performances. But I find it a little dry and boring most of the movie.
8. Rocky Balboa
– Everyone thought the series was dead after the abomination that was Rocky V. But this one showed it wasn’t. It’s a decent movie, but could earn a spot on the list purely for Rocky’s “It’s not about how hard you hit” monologue. It’s brilliant and true. Check it out here if you’ve never seen it. Trust me, it’s worth a watch.
7. Rocky IV
– Of course it makes the list. I mean this, Top Gun, and Reagan basically are the reasons we won the Cold War.
– Great movie about Muhammad Ali with Will Smith at his best. But it loses a few spots for being overly long.
– The most recent movie on the list, this one came out this past summer and I really enjoyed it. It has a great performance by Jake Gyllenhaal and some of the best boxing scenes of any movie on this list. I reviewed it after I saw it and you can read that here. I probably took off too much for the fact the trailer gave away too much. It deserves a higher score than I originally gave it.
4. Million Dollar Baby
– Clint Eastwood has a lot of hits and a lot of misses in movies he has directed. This is very much a hit. One of the best. It’s a great boxing movie that turns very emotional at the end. Also, this list could be a lesson in diversity I think. We’ve had robot boxers, white boxers, black boxers, rich boxers, poor boxers, and now a woman boxer. Go me for spreading the love. Alright I’m done patting myself on the back. Next!
3. Cinderella Man
– An excellent movie that I somehow had never seen until about 30 minutes before I started this list. I’m a sucker for the man doing whatever it takes for his family against all odds and becoming an inspiration for others story and this one gives me that and more.
2. The Fighter
– This one goes past the boxing and shows the terrible effects of drug use on family and friends. It’s a great true story, with great performances by Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale, and some awesome boxing.
– It obviously tops the list. There’s a ton to love about this movie and spawned, at this point, 6 sequels. It’s one of the most iconic movies and characters of all time. You can check out all the reasons this one is the best boxing movie ever in my review.
So what about you guys? Let me know your favorite boxing movies in the comments. Hopefully Creed will make lists like this in the future.
Last week: Top 10 Movies Based on Books
Next week: Top 10 Pixar Movies
Donate on Patreon here.