This week’s Top 10 is a Top 5. This is because I’m looking at Michael Bay, a director who’s Top 10 would feature more really bad movies than good ones. Don’t get me wrong, I actually enjoy Michael Bay for who he is. He has a few fun, popcorn action movies that are guilty pleasures of mine. But most of these movies are not good, based on pretty much every definition of the word. So without further ado, let’s get to the Top 5 of the master of insane explosions and American flags:
5. Pearl Harbor
– Yes, at least 60% of this movie is garbage. But the actual Pearl Harbor scenes are pretty fantastic and I always enjoy Ben Affleck.
– Lost in how terrible the sequels are is the fact that this first installment is actually decent. It has the best story of them all and some well executed robots- beating-the-crap-out-of-each-other action.
– Don’t even argue how Deep Impact is better. You know this one is. It’s fun even if it doesn’t make a lick of sense, ie. training oil drillers to be astronauts is easier than teaching astronauts to drill. Whatever, shove popcorn in your mouth and enjoy it.
2. Bad Boys 2
– I am forcing myself to only include one of the Bad Boys movies. So, I’m picking the second one because I think it builds on the chemistry Will Smith and Martin Lawrence showed in the first. It’s also hilarious and has some fun action.
1. The Rock
– This is easily his best overall movie. It’s got an interesting story, Sean Connery being awesome, and Nicolas Cage being a halfway decent, somewhat sane actor. Not to mention some well timed comedic moments and great action sequences.
Honorable Mentions: There really are none, with the exception of Bad Boys.
Alright how much do you guys hate Michael Bay? Do you enjoy any of his movies? Are you looking forward to 13 Hours? I think it looks decent but the choice of Bay as director worries me a bit. Let me know all of that in the comments.