I’m throwing another curveball at you this week. Despite teasing Top 10 Westerns at the end of last week’s Top 10, I decided I needed to watch more of those before compiling that list. So instead I’m going with something very different- Top 10 Rescue Movies, with Chris Pine’s The Finest Hours coming out this weekend. My criteria for this list was pretty simple; any movie that I see as a movie involving a rescue of some sort. Some notable movies are missing. For example, you won’t find Die Hard on this list, something I’m sure will shock all of you since I usually don’t miss an opportunity to put Die Hard on any list. However, I’ve never viewed that as a rescue movie despite the fact that it technically would be. Anyway let’s get to the list:
10. Apollo 13
– I had trouble putting this one so low, but I like the others a little more. Chances are it won’t be the last space rescue movie on this list.
9. Finding Nemo
– It’s one of my favorite animated movies so naturally Marlin’s rescue of Nemo from the evil humans makes the list.
8. We Were Soldiers
– The first of quite a few war movies on the list. This Mel Gibson movie set in Vietnam features the attempted rescue of an overrun US army unit that doesn’t go so well.
7. Captain Phillips
– Heading to the high seas and battling some 21st century pirates in this spot. Tom Hanks has already needed to be rescued twice on this list.
6. Tears of the Sun
– This Bruce Willis movie about the rescue of an African village is highly underrated. Check it out if you haven’t seen it.
5. The Martian
– Back to space with this one. This was one of the best movies of 2015 and though watching Matt Damon grow potatoes on Mars is the main focal point, it is a rescue movie at its core.
– Back to back space movies. This is one of those rare sequels that is actually better than the first, though they are very different movies.
– It’s the movie that turned Liam Neeson into an action star, which may not be the best thing based on the movies he’s made since that range anywhere from average to downright awful. This movie’s sequels fall into the latter, but this one is one of the best action movies of the 21st century.
2. Black Hawk Down
– It was a pretty intense battle (pun intended) for the top spot but this one just misses. Still great.
1. Saving Private Ryan
– You can argue all you want that it’s not a rescue movie because no one technically gets rescued. But due to the fact that the main point of the mission is to rescue (or save, if you will) Private Ryan, I think it works. I’ve always seen it is a rescue movie and it’s my list so that’s that. Saving Private Ryan is the #1 Rescue Movie.
Honorable Mentions: Argo, Buried, Rescue Dawn, Olympus Has Fallen, Commando, Rambo 2
Let me know which ones I missed in the comments.
Last Week: Top 10 Alien Invasion
Next Week: Top 10 Zombie Movies (I almost promise)