In honor of the unfortunately very paint by numbers, average looking (despite an amazing cast) Triple 9 coming out this week, I’m taking a look at the best heist movies of all time. The reason this is coming so late in the week is I was trying to give myself time to watch a few I had never seen. Unfortunately I was too busy so there will be a few notable movies missing. With that said, let’s get to it:
10. The Italian Job
– This is the Mark Wahlberg remake, as I have never seen the original. This movie gets a lot of hate for some reason, by I find it very enjoyable. Just beats out Point Break for the 10 spot.
9. Gone in 60 Seconds
– Another remake here, with some of the best car chase scenes ever made. Also, Nic Cage is somewhat bearable to watch, so it has that going for it.
8. Fast 5
– It’s by far the best Fast and Furious movie and has an impressive Ocean’s 11ish feel to the heist. The addition of The Rock definitely helped turn the franchise around.
7. Inside Man
– Some great back and forth between Clive Owen and Denzel Washington (and Jodie Foster for that matter), and a nice twist make this a worthy addition to the list.
6. Reservoir Dogs
Tarantino’s first takes you behind the scenes of the aftermath of a heist gone wrong and is still one of his best.
– It’s a really good movie with a unique twist on the genre. It may be a but confusing the first time or two, but a solid heist movie nonetheless.
4. Ocean’s 11
– I honestly didn’t know this list would have so many remakes on it (since I normally hate them), but here’s another one. An all star cast and a fantastic twist earn this the 4 spot. I wanted to put it higher but couldn’t get it over any of the top 3.
3. The Town
– Another impressive directorial outing by Ben Affleck. Nearly all his directing efforts have been hits, and this is no different. It has some of the most intense robbery scenes ever, but also a great overall story.
– It’s the quintessential heist movie. It probably should be number 1 but I can’t help myself. I love the De Niro vs. Pacino dynamic and it has one of the best movie shootouts ever. Mix those with a great story and you get this fantastic movie.
1. Die Hard
– “After all your posturing, all your scheming, you are nothing more than a common thief”
“I’m an exceptional thief.”
That’s right, at its core Die Hard is nothing more than a common heist movie. An exceptional one. I think it’s worthy of making the list and it is my favorite movie, so I’ll never miss the opportunity to put it at number one.
Feel free to argue my top pick in the comments below, and also let me know your favorite heist movies.
Honorable Mentions: Point Break, Die Hard with a Vengeance, The Bank Job, The Thomas Crown Affair, Swordfish
Notable Movies I didn’t have time to watch but probably should be on the list: Dog Day Afternoon, Thief, Heist
Last Week: Top 5 Ryan Reynolds Movies
Next Week: Top 10 Action films of the 2010s