With London Has Fallen coming out this weekend, I’m looking at the best action movies this decade (as of February 2016). I’ve already done similar lists for the ’80s and 90’s. I’ll post the links at the bottom for anyone interested. There were a few qualifiers for this list. I’m leaving off superhero movies and war movies. I think they have their own genres separate from these movies. Also, there are just some movies I just don’t consider action movies for whatever reason despite having plenty of action in them (think Inception or Star Wars: The Force Awakens). With all that out the way here’s the list:
10. Edge of Tomorrow
– It was close between this and Olympus Has Fallen (which I really enjoy). This one wins due to Tom Cruise and a fresh spin of action sci-fi.
9. 21 and 22 Jump Street
– I’m cheating here a little bit. I like these movies pretty much the exact same amount. The chemistry between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum is fantastic and these movies are incredibly entertaining.
8. The Expendables 2
– Is it a great movie with a great plot? Not even close. But is it entertaining to see all your favorite ’80s action stars together? You bet.
7. Fast 5
– Still the best movie of the franchise. It turned the whole series around by having at least a little bit of a plot and bringing in The Rock.
6. The Raid: Redemption
– A lot of people prefer the sequel, but to me, this Indonesian martial arts movie is superior. It had great actions scenes with brilliant choreography. Not for those who can’t handle a lot of violence though.
5. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
– This one beats last summer’s Rogue Nation for best Mission Impossible movie. Also, it’s the second Tom Cruise action movie on this list. What decade is it again?
– Daniel Craig’s Bond takes more of an action turn. And I loved every minute of it.
3. John Wick
– It’s the perfect role for Keanu Reeves. It has some of the best gun play scenes of any movie on this list.
2. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
– Humans vs. Apes on horses. Enough said.
1. Mad Max: Fury Road
– A 2 hour long car chase can’t be good can it? Oh but is very much is. It’s 6 Oscar wins and nomination for best picture are evidence of that.
Honorable Mentions: Olympus Has Fallen, Pacific Rim, Mission Impossible Rogue Nation, The Equalizer, Safe House, 2 Guns, The Expendables, Dredd, Jack Reacher, Red
Let me know your favorites in the comments.
Next Week: Top 10 Monster Movies