Well for some reason they remade Ben-Hur, so I guess it is time to look at the best so called “sword and sandals” movies. This is not my favorite genre, as evidenced by the fact that I couldn’t even make a list of 10. Check out the list below and let me know your favorites in the comments.
5. Ben-Hur (The original)
– I don’t like this movie as much as most, but makes the list for the chariot race scene alone. It’s fantastic
– Overrated? Yep. Historically accurate? Not even close. But still an enjoyable film.
– There are parts of this movie I really hate. But there are other parts that are very entertaining. So it has that going for it.
2. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
– Might be a bit of a cheat but hey, it involves swords and sandals. And it is the best of the series despite being 11 hours long.
– Not even close. By far the best movie in this genre.
Honorable mentions: Conan the Barbarian, Robin Hood, 300